Monday, January 27, 2014

Meet Barry Switzer

 
Matt's birthday was Saturday the 11th. I took off Friday the 10th so we could have a long weekend to celebrate! It turned out to be a pretty good birthday!
 
We've been talking about getting another dog for MONTHS.
We knew we wanted to adopt one from a shelter or rescue. Seriously people, STOP buying bred puppies!!! Talk a walk through you local shelter and have a little look-see at the heart breaking problem you're contributing too.
K, that's all the ranting I'm going to do on that topic for now.  
 
Well, that Friday morning we were having a nice, lazy morning looking at dogs available for adoption on Petfinder, when this handsome dude's picture showed up.

 
He instantly had my heart. That little pink nose, those sweet eyes...I was hooked.
And the poor baby was so skinny; you could see his little hip bones and ribs.
I just knew he had to come home.
 
So Matt called to make sure he was still there...he was! In fact he's been on the news on Freedom 43 that same morning! I wish we'd seen it! So we got dressed and headed to the OKC animal shelter.
 
The pound was the most soul crushing experience of my life. Soul. Crushing.
And I didn't even have to walk through the kennels! Matt went back to get him and bring him to an "acquaintance room" so we could play with him and get to know him a little. I waited in the car till he had him in the room, then I went in. There was no way on God's Earth I would have been able to deal with seeing all those sad eyes.
 
So I didn't even experience the worst of it! But what I saw on the way from the door back to the acquaintance room...part of me literally died inside.  I want to scoop up every sweet baby in sight and bring them home with me! It's all I thought about for days after!
 
 
The first thing he did when I came in the room and sat down on the bench was jump up and lay across my lap and snuggle and look at me with those eyes sweet, sad eyes. My heart was instantly mush. I looked at Matt and he said, "There's no way he's going back in that cage." I said, "Nope! Let's go!"


 
As soon as we got in the car he curled right up in my lap and slept the whole way to the vet!
His momma's been fattening him up; you don't see that sad little spine anymore! :)

 
Waiting to see the vet!
The poor baby was so tired. He slept for 3 days straight after we brought him home.
 
 
After his clean bill of health from the vet, he picked out a bed and toys of his own!

 
He even got his very own name tag! :)
We had his name picked out on the way to the shelter!
Matt wanted to name him something related to OU (what a surprise).
I, jokingly, said, "We could name him Barry Switzer!" I was totally kidding!
But Matt ended up actually liking it!
 
 
He's tatted up, too. Haha!
The pound tattoos ID numbers on all the animals.

 


Finally home!
His ears were up like that when we got him but since then they've started falling and looking more floppy like they're supposed to. :)


 
We are crate training him so that's where he sleeps (he's doing soooooo well with potty training by the way!) but after we got up and let him out that first morning, we let him lay down with us for a few minutes and he just made his little self riiiight at home!
 
 
He took a trip to Petsmart every day for the first 4 days he lived with us!
Every day we would think of something else we needed for him!
He's slowing breaking out of his shell in the car, but mostly he lays in my lap during car rides.
 
 
He's learning that Molly is queen bee! If he gets closer than she wants him, she lets him know!
He's not really supposed to be on the couch but he jumped up and Molly was okay with it so I decided to document the moment! Haha.
Overall they are getting along just fine, really!
Snuffy finds his energetic puppy ways very annoying but Switzer is learning to leave him alone. :)
 
After being homeless for the first 4 months of his life, he's now living the good life!
 
 
He loves basking in the sun,

 
playing with (chewing on) his squeaky tennis ball,

 
taking walks with his daddy,
(Matt's face is favorite part of this picture. Doesn't he look so happy?! He's excited about his puppy!)

 
being goofy,

 
and last but not least, sleeping! :)


This dog loves to lay. If its a soft surface, he thinks it's meant for him to lay on!
This a basket of towels and washcloths in our guest bathroom. Any time either one of us goes in there, he follows us in and promptly proceeds to curl up in the basket. Oy Vey.
 
 
And this was his first day of puppy school last week!
(Matt looks super thrilled, and Switzy boo looks scared! lol)
He did so great! We've been working on the commands we learned and he's doing well!
We'll have another class Thursday and hopefully he'll perform well and wont embarrass us! Haha!
 
I'd say he was a pretty great 27th birthday present for Matt!
That's about all that's new in our lives.
Matt's school semester is even fuller than it was last semester, if that's possible.
I've just been prepping for the baby shower I'm hosting in a couple weeks and loving my THREE babies! Our house is seriously like a petting zoo these days!
 
 

 
This is the zoo keeper, signing off.


 
 
 
 
 

 

No comments: